Wednesday, March 25, 2009

New Stuff

I just ordered these books for the kids and for my summer reading:
  1. Natural Speller
  2. What your kindergartner, 1st grader, 3rd grader, 4th grader should know.
  3. Homeschooling The First Year

The reason I purchased kindergarten, 1st, 3rd, and 4th grade is because I need to go back a year to make sure that they aren't missing anything. I have been working on dd's curriculum already and I am up to October. Now I have to talk to my ds's teacher. She sent a note that she needs to talk to us about his academics. What academics? His in kindergarten. The funny thing is that in NC children don't even have to go school until age 7. I was trying to let my ds make his own decision to stay home, but depending on what the teacher says he may just have to get over it.

*************************************************************************************

Okay, so dh just talked to her (the teacher). I am not happy. It is totally behavioral which has NEVER been an issue. There is another thing that I have noticed about them (dd & dh). They don't seem curious about anything. I don't know what to do. One thing we decided is no television during the week. I know it seems a little harsh to some. I mean I didn't even have to live by that standard when I was young, but things are different. When they get up in the morning they get dressed and come into the living room and turn on the television. Generally they aren't even really watching it, it's just background noise. Then they go to school for 6 hours. They get home about 4ish. This is where the division happens. My dd has about 2 hours of homework and my ds has about 15-30 worth (which we have agreed is not enough). That puts us at about 6pm for my dd. Now while my dd is doing homework, ds wants to turn on the television and in the midst of it all we have our niece and nephew making life a little more exciting. Anyway, they are supposed to be in bed by 8 which means that they have about 2 hours to eat, shower, get ready for bed, and try to squeeze some free time. School just isn't the same. They push facts rather than a love of learning. I don't want them to hate school the way I did.

I have already decided that all my extra money or whatever is going toward homeschool stuff ie family passes to Discovery Place, book, and other activities.

I know I can do this. How do I know? Because it is what's best for our children. I have to spark that curiosity in them. I want them to want to know everything there is to know about everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment